TATTOO AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS
As recommended by the staff of PennyBlack Tattoo & Art
1) KEEP THE TEGADERM WRAPPING ON THE TATTOO FOR 24 HOURS.
Anything that has bacteria on it (Cat hair, dog hair, people hair, dirt, dust, etc.) is something you don’t want sticking to the tattoo. Tegaderm is an effective barrier against water, dirt, germs, and friction – all of which will damage your tattoo and impair the beauty of your finished tattoo. You can go about your business knowing that your tattoo is protected from everything and that it will heal as beautifully as you intended.
2) AFTER 24 HOURS, GENTLY REMOVE THE TEGAERM BANDAGE AND WASH THE ART GENTLY WITH SOAP AND WATER, USING FINGERS ONLY. ENSURE RICH LATHER FOR AT LEAST 30 SECONDS. GENTLY PAT DRY WITH PAPER TOWEL ONLY.
A hypoallergenic, perfume-free soap like Neutrogena or Spectrogel is good, but not a pre-requisite. You’re trying to kill all microbial life to prevent infection, thus the generous lather. You must use paper towel to pat dry, as tissue isn’t stable enough to not fall apart in the wound, and even a fresh towel out of the dryer still has bacteria all over it.
3) APPLY THE SECOND TEGADERM BANDAGE TO THE CLEAN, DRY AREA OVER THE ART AND ALLOW TO REMAIN IN PLACE FOR AN ADDITIONAL 3 DAYS TO CONTINUE THE HEALING PROCESS.
Oxygen is vital for a healing tattoo, without it, your skin suffocates. Tegaderm is engineered to be gas permeable so your skin can “breathe” and get all the oxygen it needs to heal perfectly. Because it is breathable, Tegaderm can be worn for several days at a time while your tattoo heals.
Bandages similar to Tegaderm have been used by doctors and surgeons for over 30 years. Tegaderm works by locking in your body’s natural healing fluids so your tattoo stays hydrated and heals quickly and efficiently with no scabbing and reduced scarring.
4) AFTER THE SECOND TEGADERM BANDAGE HAS BEEN REMOVED, BE SURE TO KEEP THE TATTOO CLEAN AND WELL MOISTURIZED. USE AN UNSCENTED MOISTURIZER EVERY 3 TO 6 HOURS AS NEEDED TO PREVENT ITCHING AND DISCOMFORT. REPEAT AS NEEDED FOR TWO WEEKS.
Once the wound has sealed, moisturizing is key to minimize scabbing and prevent itching. Use a water based lotion- Lubriderm, Aveeno, Vaseline Intensive Care, or a base lotion such as Wellskin Glaxal Base. Oil based aftercare like TatWax, Polysporin, or Preparation H will cause an occlusive seal over the wound. This will cause the body to create excess sebum and push it out in an attempt to clear the wound so that oxygen can get in. Colour will come out with the sebum. No oil-based moisturizers, water-based lotion only!
- Pick at or scratch the tattoo
- Expose the tattoo to excessive sunlight.
- Wear tight or restrictive clothing overtop of the tattoo.
- Lick the tattoo, or let anyone else lick it. No tongues, period.
- Keep the tattoo wet for an excessive length of time. No bathing, swimming, or excessive sweating. Showers are acceptable.
The complete healing process should take approximately two to six weeks, depending on the clients’ adherence to these guidelines and their personal biochemistry.
If you have any questions or concerns, you can always contact me directly at the studio, or via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.